Apple Crumble Tarts
Apples with cinnamon and sugar, covered in a delicious crumble served in a flaky pie crust! These are delicious tarts!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
About 1 dozen tarts
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
1/3 cup cold Original Earth Vegan Buttery Sticks
4 tbsp cold water
1 egg, whisked
1/2 tsp vinegar
1 tbsp white sugar
1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill 1:1 GF flour
1/4 tsp salt (Himalayan or sea salt if you have it)
1/4 cup water
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp white sugar
Ingredients for the crumble:
11/4 cup gluten-free oats
2 1/2 tbsp gluten-free flour blend
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp vegan butter
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Instructions to make the pie crust:
1) Put cold butter and shortening in a metal mixing bowl, using two knives, cut the butter and shortening into little pieces. Making sure to cut the butter and shortening for several minutes, allowing air pockets to form in the pastry. Add 4 tbsp of cold water to the butter mixture and set in the freezer for 5 minutes.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk an egg, then add vinegar and the cold butter and shortening mixture.
3) In a third bowl combine dry ingredients. Then fold in the wet ingredients. Blend until dough forms. Do not over blend.
4) Form the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes, until ready to use.
5) To make tarts: Line a muffin pan. Using a scoop that is about 1 tbsp, scoop the cold pastry into a ball and place dough balls in the muffin pan. Using a small press, press down on each ball so that it starts to line the muffin cup. You can sprinkle a little rice flour over the dough if it is sticking to the press. Try to make the bottom as thin as possible. Continue to smooth the pastry to form the sides of the tart.
6) Once all tart shells are done, cover the pan with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
7) To make the apple filling, put all the ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil then let simmer for 8 minutes. The apples will have softened.
8) Take the shells out of the fridge. Then use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the apple filling and pour it into the tart shells. Try to leave some room at the top, not filling all the way.
9) To make the crumble:
10) Bake at 375 degrees for about 18-20 minutes. Bake until apples are tender and crumble is golden.
Enjoy these Apple Crumble Tarts!