These are the world's best gluten & dairy free Butter Tarts!
Gluten & Dairy Free
12 portions (This recipe is for 12 thin pastry crusts or a single pie crust)
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
1/4 cup cold original earth balance spread
3 tbsp cold water
1 egg, whisked
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp white sugar
1 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup Kinnikinnick pancake mix
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup original earth balance spread
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1/2 cup of golden raisins (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1) Put cold butter and shortening in a metal mixing bowl, using two knives, cut the butter into little pieces. Add the cold water and set in the freezer for 5 minutes.
2) Beat an egg and put it in a stand blender or mixing bowl. Then add vinegar and the cold butter and shortening.
3) In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Then fold into the wet ingredients. Blend until it forms a dough. Do not over blend.
4) Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5) Line muffin pan with muffin cups. Using a scoop that is about 1 tbsp, scoop the cold pastry into a ball and place twelve balls in the muffin pan. Using a small press, press down on each ball so that it starts to line the muffin cup. Try to make the bottom as thin as possible. Use your fingers to smooth out the pastry and form sides, on the tart.
6) Once all twelve tart shells are done, cover the pan with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 10 minutes.
7) To make the filling, put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl or stand blender, except for the raisins. Blend the ingredients well.
8) Take the shells out of the fridge. Put a few raisins in the bottom of each of the tart shells. Then use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the filling and pour it into the tart shells. Try to leave some room at the top, not filling all the way.
7) Bake at 400 degrees for about 14 minutes.