Lemon Blueberry Cake
Sweet and delicious cake with a rich dairy-free lemon buttercream icing!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
3 eggs lightly beaten, room temperature
1 cup of vegetable oil
3 tsp gluten-free pure vanilla
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
3 cups gluten-free white rice flour
1/8 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if it is in flour)
1 tsp baking soda (omit if it's in flour)
1 tsp baking powder (omit if it is in flour)
1 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
1/3 cup fresh blueberries (garnish)
Vegan Lemon Buttercream Icing
1 tsp pure gluten-free vanilla
2/3 cup vegan butter*
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
Freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon, divided (save a little bit of the zest to sprinkle on the top of the cake)
Dash Sea salt (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans.
2) Grated zucchini, drained and placed in a dishtowel. Squeeze some of the extra moisture out. Set aside.
3) In a stand mixer or using a mixing bowl and hand mixer, mix together the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, apple sauce, then add in the zucchini.
4) Add in gluten-free flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, then the frozen blueberries. Pour batter into two 8 inch greased pans.
5) Bake for about 25-28 minutes. Let cool before icing.
6) To make the buttercream icing, combine vanilla, vegan butter, icing sugar, fresh lemon juice, and salt. Using a hand mixer blend for 2 minutes. Fold in the lemon zest (saving some for garnish) and mix. See video
Serves 12 people