Lemon Blueberry Cake
Sweet and delicious cake with a rich dairy free lemon buttercream icing!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
3 eggs lightly beaten, room temperature
1 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp gluten free pure vanilla
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
3 cups gluten free white rice flour
1/8 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if it is in flour)
1 tsp baking soda (omit if its in flour)
1 tsp baking powder (omit if it is in flour)
1 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
1/3 cup fresh blueberries (garnish)
Vegan Lemon Buttercream Icing
1 tsp pure gluten free vanilla
2/3 cup vegan butter*
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
Freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon, divided (save a little bit of the zest to sprinkle on the top of the cake)
Dash Sea salt (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans.
2) Grated zucchini, drained and placed in dish towel. Squeeze some of the extra moisture out. Set aside.
3) In a stand mixer or using a mixing bowl and hand mixer, mix together the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, apple sauce, then add in the zucchini.
4) Add in gluten free flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, then the frozen blueberries. Pour batter into two 8 inch greased pans.
5) Bake for about 25-28 minutes. Let cool before icing.
6) To make the buttercream icing, combine vanilla, vegan butter, icing sugar, fresh lemon juice, and salt. Using a hand mixer blend for 2 minutes. Fold in lemon zest (saving some for garnish) and mix. See video
Serves 12 people