Loads of protein, flavour and spices!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
1 cup green lentils
2 cups of water
3 flax eggs (3 tbsp milled flax and 6 tbsp hot water)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 black pepper
2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour*
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
3/4 cup grated vegan cheese
1/3 cup of gluten-free BBQ sauce
1/4 tsp gluten-free chipotle seasoning**
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Rinse lentils in a mesh strainer. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add lentils and simmer for 35 minutes. Once cooked set aside.
3. In a small dish, mix flax eggs and let sit.
4. In a large frying pan saute onions, garlic, red and yellow peppers, and carrots, for about 5 minutes. Mix in oregano and pepper and remove from heat and scrape into a mixing bowl.
5. Blend 1/2 cooked lentils and add to the bowl of vegetables. Add the remaining cooked whole lentils, fresh basil, flax eggs, oats and oat flour to the vegetables.
6. Grease 8x8 glass baking dish with vegan butter.
7. Press 1/2 of the lentil mixture into a greased baking dish, then put grated cheese in the middle and cover with the remaining lentil mixture. Smooth evenly in baking dish.
8. To prepare sauce, use a small mixing bowl, add ingredients, stir with a fork and coat the top of the lentil loaf.
9. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then broil on low for 5 minutes.
Serve warm. This vegetarian Lentil Loaf is excellent with Roasted Vegetables with Avocado Dressing