Creamy Cashew Cheese Sauce!
Homemade Macaroni & Cheese
A childhood favourite! Easy to make comfort food!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
Cashew Cheese Sauce:
3/4 cup cashews (soak)*
2 Tbsp pine nuts or sunflower seeds (soak)*
1 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbsp red bell pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3 Tbsp warm water
4 Tbsp dairy-free milk (Cashew, coconut or almond milk)
1 cup of dairy-free cheese, grated
5 vegan hot dogs or meat hot dogs (optional)
1 box of gluten-free macaroni noodles or fusilli noodles.
Garnish with a sprinkle of black pepper and gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, if you have them!
1) Put soaked cashews, pine nuts, tahini, peppers, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, water and milk into the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
2) Next, add cheese and blend until smooth.
3) Boil pasta for 7 minutes.
4) Mix Pasta with cheese sauce and put it into a casserole dish, cover to keep warm.
5) Place sliced hot dogs on a lined parchment paper baking sheet. Cook in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Then place cooked hot dogs on top of macaroni.
Serve warm. Makes 4-6 servings.
Soak cashews, nuts and seeds for at least 2 hours in a 250g measuring cup of cold water. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Short on time? You can also soak the cashews in hot water but not boiling water for 15 minutes, to reduce phytic acid. After soaking drain water and rinse in cold water.