Apple Crumble Tarts
These are the world's best gluten & dairy-free tarts!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
About 2 dozen tarts or 2 pie crusts
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening
1/2 cup cold original earth balance spread
6 tbsp cold water
2 eggs whisked
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp white sugar
2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup Kinnikinnick pancake mix
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup water
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp white sugar
Ingredients for the crumble:
11/4 cup gluten-free oats
2 1/2 tbsp gluten-free flour blend
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp vegan butter
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1) Put cold butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, using two knives to cut the butter into little pieces. Add the cold water and set in the freezer for 5 minutes.
2) Beat eggs and put them into a stand blender or mixing bowl. Then add vinegar and cold water and blend. Then add butter and shortening.
3) In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Then fold into the wet ingredients. Blend until it forms a dough. Do not over blend.
4) Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5) To make tarts: Line two muffin pans. Using a scoop that is about 1 tbsp, scoop the cold pastry into a ball and place dough balls in the muffin pan. Using a small press, press down on each ball so that it starts to line the muffin cup. Try to make the bottom as thin as possible. Continue to smooth the pastry to form the sides of the tart.
To make two pies: Press cold dough into two ungreased pie plates. Don't try to roll it. Sprinkle a little bit of rice flour on the dough before pressing it into the pan.
6) Once all tart shells are done, cover the pan with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
7) To make the filling, put all the ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil then let simmer for 8 minutes. The apples will have softened.
8) Take the shells out of the fridge. Then use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the apple filling and pour it into the tart shells. Try to leave some room at the top, not filling all the way.
9) To make the crumble:
10) Bake at 375 degrees for about 18 minutes.