Sugar Cookies & Creamy Vanilla Icing!
Today my daughter and I made these gluten/dairy-free sugar cookies. This recipe makes the perfect circle cookie that you can smother in icing and sprinkles. My daughter called them "sweet perfection". Enjoy!
Makes about 2 dozen
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp gluten-free vanilla
3 cups gluten-free flour
(I used 1 cup of Kinnikinnick GF Pancake and Waffle Mix and 2 cups white rice flour)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder (unless in flour)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2) Blend butter, shortening and sugar in a bowl. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Then flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and powder. Add a sprinkle more flour if the dough seems sticky. Set dough in the fridge for a couple of minutes.
3) Using a tablespoon scoop 1-inch dough balls or use a cookie dough scoop. Do not flatten dough balls. The cookie sheet needs to be room temperature. If it is hot the cookies will go flat.
Optional: Put a couple of sprinkles on the dough before putting them in the oven.
This recipe didn't work well for shaped cookies because the cookies expanded and flattened.
4) Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Let cool.
Once cookies have cooled to room temperature decorate with icing and sprinkles.
Creamy Vanilla Icing
Makes about 1 cup
4 tbsp Becel vegan butter (If you use Earth Balance butter use at room temperature)
2 tsp gluten-free vanilla
2 1/4 cups Icing sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk or dairy-free milk of your choice
1. Blend vegan butter until smooth and creamy.
2. Add vanilla, then slowly add icing sugar. Then add coconut milk.
3. Blend until icing is smooth and creamy.
If you use Earth Balance buttery sticks set at room temperature for 30-40 minutes before using.
Keep in a sealed container, in the fridge.