What's for dinner?
Tonight we are going to make Homemade Macaroni & Cheese! Its a fun Friday night meal idea and its so delicious with cashew-based cheese sauce.
Cashew Cheese Sauce:
3/4 cup cashews (soak for 4 hours)
2 Tbsp pine nuts (soak for 4 hours)
1 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbsp red bell pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3 Tbsp warm water
4 Tbsp dairy-free milk (Cashew, coconut or almond milk)
1 cup of vegan cheese, grated
5 vegan hot dogs or meat hot dogs (optional)
1 box of gluten-free pasta
1) Put cashews, pine nuts, tahini, peppers, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, water and milk into the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
2) Then add cheese and blend until smooth.
3) Boil pasta for 7 minutes.
4) Mix Pasta with cheese sauce and put into a casserole dish, cover to keep warm.
5) Place sliced hot dogs on a lined parchment paper baking sheet. Cook in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Then place cooked hot dogs on top of macaroni.
Serve warm. Makes 4-6 servings.
Soak cashews for 4-12 hours in a 250g measuring cup of cold water. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Short on time? You can also soak the cashews in hot but not boiling water for 15 minutes, to reduce phytic acid. After soaking drain water and rinse in cold water.