A yummy rice and vegetable casserole with a wonderful flavours from Mexico!
Yummy rice casserole with vegetables and protein, loaded with flavour!
Nut-free with a vegetarian option!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
1 cup broth
1/3 cup rice
1/4 cup quinoa (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cooked skinless boneless chicken breast, chopped (omit if vegetarian)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp gluten-free tamari or soy sauce (low sodium)
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
1/3 cup canned coconut milk
1 cup vegan cheese, grated (cheese is optional)
This recipe is very versatile so add your favourite vegetables. You may want to add 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced or 1/2 cup corn.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cook 1/3 cup rice in 1 cup of broth. Cook quinoa in 1/2 cup water.
3) Cook chicken in oven or frying pan. Then shred and set aside.
4) In a large frying pan, on low-medium heat, add olive oil, onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables are browning and becoming translucent.
5) In a casserole dish add sautéed vegetables, carrots, cooked rice, cooked quinoa, black beans, cooked chicken and spices (cumin and pepper. Stir in coconut milk and cheese.
6) Cover the casserole dish with foil. Heat in oven for about 15 minutes, until warm.
Be careful not to overcook this casserole as it will get dried out. If it does get dried out add more coconut milk.