Creamy dairy-free potatoes!
Yummy cheesy dairy-free scalloped potatoes!
Gluten & Dairy Free
Easy to make!
10 potatoes, sliced
2 small onions, peeled and sliced
1 cup coconut milk, canned or refrigerated
3 tbsp vegan butter, divided
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp white rice flour (or any gluten-free flour)
Salt and pepper (Himalayan salt)
1/2 cup dairy-free cheese
A sprinkle gluten-free graham crumbs
A sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
3) Place half of the sliced potatoes in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish followed by the sliced onion, then top with the remaining potatoes.
4) Put 2 tbsp of vegan butter into a saucepan, add flour, nutritional yeast and coconut milk. You can even melt half of the grated cheese in this sauce. Whisk for a couple of minutes and pour over potatoes and onions.
5) Cut 1 tbsp of vegan butter over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cheese.
6) Bake covered for about 45-60 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove foil, add grated cheese and cook for another 15 minutes. Then broil for 2 minutes.
Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes work great in scalloped potatoes because they are starchy and will thicken the sauce. Red-skinned potatoes will work but they are less starchy.
I prefer yellow onions in this recipe but red onions work too.
If you are using a foil pan, make sure to put it on a metal baking sheet before putting it in the oven, for easy lifting out of the oven.