Creamy dairy-free potatoes!
Yummy cheesy taste!
Gluten & Dairy Free
Easy to make!
3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 can (14oz) unsweetened coconut milk
(I used full fat coconut milk)
2 onions, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup vegan butter, divided
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tbsp white rice flour (or any gluten-free flour)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup dairy-free cheese
1/4 cup gluten-free graham crumbs
A sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
3) Using half of the sliced potatoes, put a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Next, do a layer of sliced onion, use all of the onions.
4) Put 2 tbsp of vegan butter into a saucepan, add flour, nutritional yeast and a can of coconut milk (shake can well). You can even melt half of the grated cheese in this sauce. Whisk for a couple of minutes and pour half over potatoes and onions.
5) Then using the rest of the potatoes, put another layer of potatoes. Pour the rest of the milk mixture over the potatoes and cut 2 tbsp of butter over the top. Sprinkle with pepper and cheese.
6) Bake covered for about 45-60 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove foil, add grated cheese and cook for another 15 minutes. Then broil for 2 minutes.
Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes work great in scalloped potatoes because they are starchy and will thicken the sauce. Red-skinned potatoes will work but they are less starchy.
I prefer yellow onions in this recipe but red onions work too.
If you are using a foil pan, make sure to put it on a metal baking sheet before putting it in the oven, for easy lifting out of the oven.