Sweet Holiday Treat!
Sweet Potato & Pecan Casserole
This side dish is a family favourite! Just like Grandma Kline use to make! A great dish to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas or Anniversary dinner!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
Makes 12 Portions
6 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup dairy-free butter
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk)
2 tsp pure vanilla
1 egg, beaten
Pecan Crumble Ingredients:
1 cup raw pecans, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white rice flour
4 tbsp dairy-free butter
1) Peel, chop and boil sweet potatoes. They take about 20 minutes to boil but use a fork to check that they are cooked. Turn off the heat and drain. Mash sweet potatoes.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3) Add butter, maple syrup, vanilla, eggs and milk to cooked mashed sweet potatoes. Use a hand mixer to blend ingredients together, making potatoes smooth and creamy.
4) Use dairy-free butter and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Pour potatoes into a baking dish and smooth the top with a spoon.
5) To make the crumble, use a medium-sized mixing bowl. Use a fork or stand mixer to mix the pecans, brown sugar, white rice flour, and butter (not melted). Once you have a crumble, spread it evenly over potato casserole.
6) Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then broil for 2 minutes so the pecan crumbles start to brown.
Serve warm and store in the fridge covered for up to 3 days.