Gluten & Dairy-Free
Rice Bowl with Peanut Sauce
This favourite coconut rice dish is full of bright colourful vegetables and nuts, smothered in a peanut sauce that adds so much flavour!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
Makes 4-6 Portions
1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup salted water
1 cup raw white basmati rice, rinsed
3/4 cup salted water
1 cup can coconut milk
1 chicken breast, shredded
1 cup red cabbage, grated
1/2 cup red peppers, chopped
1/2 cup yellow or orange peppers, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped or grated
1/2 cup onion, sliced, sautéed
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
5 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/3 cup water (to thin sauce)
1/2 cup green onion or chives, chopped
1 cup cashews, pistachios or peanuts (or 1/3 cup of each of them)
1 avocado, chopped (optional)
1) Bring 1/2 cup of salted water to a boil, in a small pot. Add 1/4 cup of quinoa. Let simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit covered.
2) Shake can of coconut milk. Rinse rice in cool water until the water runs clear. Bring water and coconut milk to a boil, add rice, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 more minutes until water is absorbed in the rice.
3) While rice is cooking, cook chicken and shred it. Then chop or grate vegetables and place them in a casserole dish. Sauté chopped onions for 4-5 minutes in olive oil.
4) Measure sauce ingredients into a cup blender and mix. Pour sauce over prepared vegetables and add cooked rice and chicken.
5) Mix casserole and garnish with chopped nuts and green onion or chives.
So much yummy flavour!