Gluten & Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
This doubly chocolate cake is moist and delicious!
Easy to make recipe! Great for birthday celebrations!
15 large cupcakes or a 2-layer cake
2 cups of gluten-free flour blend
1/2 cup white sugar 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 2 tsp baking powder (unless in flour)
1 tsp baking soda
Dash of Himalayan salt
1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (refrigerated coconut milk or canned)
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp of olive oil or vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs*)
1 tsp gluten-free vanilla
3/4 cup Enjoy Life Mega Chunks or Mini Chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the dry ingredients then add the wet ingredients. Using a hand mixer, mix for one minute. Add chocolate chunks and mix.
3. Grease or line 15 muffin cups or to make a two-layer cake grease two 8 inch cake pans.
4. Bake cupcakes in the oven for approximately 17 minutes or bake a cake for approx. 20 minutes.
5. Let cupcakes cool before putting the icing on top. Then top with your favourite sprinkles.
Makes 15 large cupcakes or a two-layer cake.
Tips: *To make flax eggs for this recipe use 2 tbsp ground flax with 4 tbsp hot water, mix and let sit for a couple of minutes. Flax eggs work great in cupcakes, but they will be denser than if made with eggs.
Use your favourite flour blend or rice flour if you don't have Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour. Just note that not all gluten-free flours are created the same, some flours will work better in cake recipes than others. Bob's Red Mill 1:1 contains xanthan gum. If your flour doesn't contain xanthan gum add 1/4 tsp to the cake batter.
You can also use coconut oil instead of olive oil or vegetable oil. Your cake will have a chocolate coconut flavour.