Flavourful Seasoned Lentils!
Simple veggie meat with so much yummy flavour!!
Vegetarian, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Egg-Free
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced (optional)
19 oz canned lentils, drained and rinsed
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp seasoning salt (I used Flavor God Garlic Seasoning)
Optional: 1/4 cup of quinoa (uncooked)
1 box of gluten free taco shells
Choose your favourite toppings:
- Head lettuce sliced thin
- 1 avocado sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- Sauted or raw red and green pepper
- Squirt of fresh lime (cut lime lengthwise, then cut each side into three)
1) Using a small pot, add 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt and bring it to a boil. Then add 1/4 cup of quinoa, reduce heat to low and cover quinoa. Let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 more minutes covered.
2) In a large frying pan, sauté chopped onions and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, until onions have softened. Stir in quinoa.
3) Add another tbsp olive oil, seasoning salt, oregano, and canned lentils, fry for a few more minutes until lentils are warm.
4) Prepare toppings of your choice.
5) Warm taco shells in oven for 5 minutes on 350 degrees.
6) The fun thing about this dinner is everyone can do their own tacos. To prepare tacos add lentil and quinoa mixture, salsa and toppings, finally sprinkle with shredded dairy-free cheese and lettuce.
Additional ways to serve seasoned lentils in a...
- corn taco shell topped with avocado
- soft wrap with melted cheese
- on a bed of rice
- on salad
- scooped nacho chip, melt a sprinkle of cheese on top
- or in tomato spaghetti sauce
Tip: Make ahead for the work week! This mixture will last 3 days in a covered container in the fridge. This is great for lunches.