Healthy Meal Ideas
Green Beans and Broccoli with Dairy Free Cheese Sauce
Yummy meal ideas your family will love!
Gluten & Dairy Free
Easy Homemade Meatballs:
1 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix ground beef, egg and bread crumbs in bowl.
3) Shape into small balls. Makes about 22 meatballs.
4) Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
5) Cook for about 20 minutes, until the centre is no longer pink (160 degrees internal temperature) After about 15 minutes brush on your favourite BBQ sauce or make your own sauce mix 1/2 cup of ketchup with 1/4 cup brown sugar.
SIDE DISH OPTIONS:
1) Wash and cut 1 head broccoli
2) Cut broccoli into bite size florets
3) Prepare steaming water so that it is hot before adding broccoli to the steamer basket.
4) Steam for 5-7 minutes. Test with a fork to see if it is cooked through.
5) Place steamed broccoli in a serving dish and cover until cheese sauce is ready. Then start the cheese sauce.
Cashew Cheese Sauce:
1/2 cup soaked cashews
1 Tbsp Tahini
3 Tbsp red bell pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3 Tbsp warm water
3 Tbsp dairy free milk (Cashew, coconut or almond milk)
Salt and pepper as desired
3/4 cup of vegan cheese
1) Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
2) Pour over cooked broccoli.
1 lbs or 3 cups of fresh green beans
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
Optional: add 1 small onion chopped, 3 mushrooms chopped
1) Wash and trim ends off green beans. (Chop onion and mushrooms)
2) Place green beans in frying pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil (you can also add onions,mushrooms), fry for 5-7 minutes. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3) Use a fork to check tenderness of beans. Place cooked beans in serving dish and cover.
Cheese Sauce: Soak cashews for 4-12 hours in a 250g measuring cup of cold water. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge. Short on time? You can also soak the cashews in hot but not boiling water for 15 minutes, to reduce phytic acid. After soaking drain out water and rinse in cold water.
Cashew Cheese Sauce goes great on gluten free pasta, nacho chips or other cooked vegetables.