Loads of protein, flavour and spices!
~ Gluten & Dairy Free ~
1 cup canned green lentils, rinsed
3 flax eggs (3 tbsp milled flax and 6 tbsp hot water)
1 tbsp olive oil (or water for frying)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1 large carrot, diced
3/4 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 black pepper
3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour*
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1/2 cup grated vegan cheese (I used Plant-based Mozzarella Flavoured Shreds)
1/3 cup of gluten-free BBQ sauce
1/4 tsp gluten-free chipotle seasoning**
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Rinse lentils in a mesh strainer.
3. In a small dish, mix flax eggs and let sit.
4. In a large frying pan saute onions, garlic, red and yellow peppers, and carrots, for about 5 minutes. Toss in the chopped spinach, dried oregano, fresh chopped basil and black pepper and remove from heat and scrape into a mixing bowl.
5. Add lentils into the bowl of vegetables. Then stir in the flax eggs, oats and oat flour to the vegetables and vegan grated cheese.
6. Grease or line (with parchment paper) an 8x8 glass baking dish.
7. Press the lentil mixture into the greased baking dish.
8. To prepare sauce, use a small mixing bowl, add ingredients, stir with a fork and coat the top of the lentil loaf.
9. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 350 degrees, then broil on low for 5 minutes.
Serve warm. This vegetarian Lentil Loaf is excellent with Roasted Potatoes or with Roasted Vegetables with Avocado Dressing.